Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Self-Care Part II


In my last post, I talked about how I believe we can easily be deceived by the well-intentioned “self-care” advice out there.  In this post, I want to talk about what our lives might look like if we do embrace allowing our care to come from Christ.

The question begs to be asked – from where did the need for “me time” even come?  Neither of my hardworking grandmothers are living any longer, but I wonder if they would laugh at the notion. Both of them spent their lives – from what I saw and from what I’ve heard – serving others.

I think it’s our busyness.  Or, perhaps more accurately – our perceived busyness.  (I can feel very busy but I make time for NCIS every week. But that, of course, is part of my rest time. ;)

Still, whether busyness is real or perceived, we desire an escape.  Whether that escape takes the form of a bubble bath, immersing ourselves in our favorite TV show, or something else, we desire that rest.  That desire in itself isn’t wrong.  In fact, Jesus made time for himself to devote to prayer. He needed that rest as well. It’s where we look for that rest that is the problem.

I referred in my last post to Jesus being our shepherd.  In studying what a shepherd actually does, my eyes have been opened immensely to this precious truth.  One trait in particular really struck me: 

The sheep doesn’t ever decide for herself where she will be. The Shepherd does.

Let that sink in. 

What if I let my Shepherd govern my every activity?  What would my life look like?  Sure, we don’t have a problem taking our major life decisions to him.  But what about everyday decisions?

Let me give you an example.  A few Sundays ago, I had about an hour before I had to be back at church, and I had just gotten Alyssa in bed for a nap. Everything in me wanted to brew a cup of coffee and sit down, but I instead prayed, “What would you have me do?” I immediately recalled a couple of things my husband had asked me to do that normally I would have just put off for a more convenient time. This time I did them. And you know what happened? I got these projects done with plenty of time to spare. After these projects were completed, I felt at complete peace with getting my coffee and watching football, and I was truly able to relax.  Those 15 minutes following my Shepherd were more restful than an hour of the same activity not following Him.

Our Shepherd knows our needs.  If we’re following him, he is not going to let us run dry without filling us back up.  And dare I say, he won’t let us get lazy either. He has a plan for the way we spend our time. That plan includes worshiping him above all else, serving others, and getting refreshing rest. 

“Self-care” can’t hold a candle to following the Good Shepherd. 

No comments:

Post a Comment