Saturday, February 4, 2012

"Self-Care" Part 1

Last night I was really tired. Not the sleepy kind of tired; the physically drained kind of tired.

That's pretty common for a mom of young children. And if I took to heart all I've been reading recently on some Christian blogs, I'd make time for "me" and I'd start perfecting the art of "self-care."  It sounds good.  "Self-care" sounds so, well, refreshing. Soothing even.

Yet I'm going to be bold here and say that I fear we're creating a generation of young women who are deceived into thinking "taking care of ourselves" is the way to manage life.

Now before you write me off here, let me explain that I'm not saying we work ourselves to the bone without regard for our physical, spiritual, and emotional well-being.  What I'm saying is that a focus on "self" is not where the answer lies.

Scripture points to something far better.

I can't think of one Scripture that tells us to prioritize our own needs above others' needs.  Instead I think of plenty of Scriptures that point to the opposite.  Jesus told us to deny ourselves and follow him (Matt. 16:24) and that we are to serve others (Matt. 23:11). Paul tells us to put others' needs ahead of our own (Phil. 2:4).  Nowhere that I've found does Jesus talk about "self-care."

In fact, Scripture lists several times Jesus did seek to be alone or to be alone with his disciples and was interrupted.  Never once did he say, "I'm sorry, guys, I've carved out this 'me time' so I can refresh myself from all I've been doing. I'll be ready to speak to you tomorrow."  Nope, instead he embraced each interruption as an opportunity to care for those around him.

So what is the answer for us?  What Jesus did tell us is that he is our shepherd - the good shepherd.  The shepherd looks after and takes care of his sheep.  The answer to our care resides in the hands of our shepherd, not our own hands.

What is the difference?  My self-care rests in my putting my own needs first. It creates an environment of self-centeredness that is opposed to what Jesus called us to be.  On the other hand, when Jesus cares for us, the burden of care rests upon the one who knows our deepest needs even better than we do ourselves.  And a byproduct of that care is getting to experience the loving arms of our Savior.

What do you think? What do you think it looks like in everyday life to put our own care and rest in the lap of Jesus?

No comments:

Post a Comment