Friday, February 17, 2012

The Homework Assignment

With a tired and fussy Alyssa on my hip, I frantically searched.  The paper wasn't where I thought I put it, and I eventually asked Matt to please check my car. I had to find it.  And it was almost bedtime so time was of the essence.

Finally, Matt came in holding it, and I breathed a sigh of relief.

It was Drew's homework assignment.

Yep, you heard me right. Drew is still in preschool but he has a new teacher who gives him homework.  If you know me well, you know that thrilled me. And no, I'm not being facetious.  The first homework assignment was on a  - gasp! - weekend, but Drew excitedly completed his writing and arithmetic.  This second assignment was only a coloring assignment, so it wasn't a big deal if he couldn't turn it in, right?

No, the assignment itself wasn't a big deal.  He doesn't get graded, and he would get over it if he didn't get an item from the treasure chest.  To me, however, these early assignments are setting the pace for his future approach to education but more importantly, authority.

If I am to instill in him a proper respect for authority, it has to start with these early opportunities.  Sure, there will be room for the occasional slip-up down the road, but as the Baby Whisperer says, "start as you mean to go on."  (Although she meant it in the context of eating and sleeping habits, I thought it was an excellent mantra for lots of things.)

A proper respect for authority is one of the "musts" in parenting, particularly for a Christian parent.  Drew must learn early to respect the adult authorities in his life if he is to develop the proper respect for God's authority in his life.  

And that starts young, and in my perspective, a command, request, or assignment from authority - no matter how insignificant the task itself may be - IS significant.

It sets the stage for choices on authority he will face throughout his life, with the eventual goal of submitting himself to the ultimate authority - God himself.

No comments:

Post a Comment