Thursday, July 7, 2011

The Pancakes

Last Saturday, I got up and started making pancakes.  Drew loves them and we use the "just add water" Hungry Jack kind.  But since Drew is the most picky eater on the planet, I figured, if I'm going to get him to start eating healthier, I'm going to have to get creative.

With my refrigerator stocked with blueberries (which I learned is chock full of antioxidants), I decided to puree some and "sneak" them in.  It worked, except they don't "puree" like I expected. Instead I would describe them as "minced." Luckily I didn't have to sneak this into the pancakes. Drew happily helped me add them.  I also got out my bag of milled flaxseed (have you heard what a superfood that is?)  and added a few tablespoons to the mix.  And while I was at it, what would some ground cinnamon hurt?

After the blue-speckled pancakes were placed on the table, Matt looked at them and said, "why is there blue in my pancakes?"  I told him I had pureed them to get Drew to eat them. Then Drew cheerfully added, "And we added some other stuff to make it sweet!"  Matt rolled his eyes, but that didn't matter to me.  We all ate the blueberry-flaxseed-cinnamon pancakes. Even Alyssa gobbled them up and had a speckle of blueberry on her little chin.

No comments:

Post a Comment