Sunday, July 10, 2011

Not My Gift

I was walking down the hallway of the church tonight with a baby on each hip when I spotted my friend Tiffany with a camera.  She was taking photos of the kids at Vacation Bible School at church, and I purposefully walked toward her, knowing as soon as she saw me we'd share a laugh.   As I predicted, she started laughing, and I said, "You'd better get a photo of this because you'll probably never see it again!"

Tiffany is one of the people in this world who knows me the best.  She knows the good, the bad, and the ugly. And she knew that this was quite the sight.

She knows that my gifts are not with children, but here I was, keeping the babies at VBS for the week.  Now I must defend myself by saying that just about anyone has no problem admitting that they're not public speakers, they don't teach, they don't sing.  But I've learned that I have to be careful to whom I admit that I'm not a kid person because - gasp! - I have two of them.

I honestly don't know why I am not a kid person.  After all I used to be one.  And my mom taught elementary school for over 30 years.  What is wrong with me?  However, I have to admit, I'm getting better.  I'm comfortable with children Drew's age and younger.  I guess you could liken it to visiting a foreign country. Once you've been there, it doesn't seem so foreign.

But still, my gifts are not with children.  And that is why I have so much respect for those whose gifts ARE with children.  My heart swells with joy when one of Drew's teachers can't wait to tell me something he has done or when one of Alyssa's caregivers is as excited as I would be when she accomplishes something new.  I appreciate it when my children's teachers give of their time and energy to invest in my child.

That's the way I felt tonight.  Watching person after person giving and sacrificing for our children, I couldn't help but be grateful for all the work they are doing with all their hearts. And because that's not my gift, I watch in deep appreciation.

No comments:

Post a Comment