Thursday, July 7, 2011

My New Health Kick

I am driving my husband crazy. You'd think after 10 years of marriage that there would be “nothing new under the sun,” but alas, there is. I'm kind of on a health kick, so he says. And normally, he just chuckles at me when I get on my “kicks” and he waits them out. But this kick happens to be affecting him, which is the reason behind the aforementioned driving him crazy.

I guess it started when he ordered me a subscription to “Prevention” magazine a couple of years ago as part of a free offer. It slowly got me thinking about my lifestyle habits, namely what I eat. When the subscription expired and I found myself wanting it again, I signed up for a promotion where I got a book “Healing Foods” with a subscription. Never mind that this “book” was no bigger than an old TV Guide, I still found it fascinating. Who'd have thought that certain foods were actually GOOD for you?

All kidding aside, I found myself especially interested in the foods that have been found in studies to either prevent cancer or slow a tumor's growth. Since Matt's dad lost his 2 ½ year battle with cancer in 2009 and my mom has been fighting a recurrent cancer for almost a year, this hits pretty close to home.

Throw in the fact that I'm 30 now and realizing that you can't stay young and healthy forever, I am on a quest to do what I can do to protect my family. Granted, sometimes stuff just happens. I'm not about to think I can control everything. But at least I can take steps, baby steps they may be.

No comments:

Post a Comment