Friday, September 30, 2011

Preschool Days

When Drew got a note sent home from preschool a few weeks ago, I didn't think a whole lot of it.  He has been going to preschool since the summer and has never gotten into any trouble.  Matt and I addressed the issue, confident we wouldn't get any more notes home.

I was mistaken. On Monday when I picked him up, Drew notified me of another note home.  We addressed this issue a little more sternly this time.  I told him that if he got a note home Wednesday, we wouldn't take our weekly McDonald's trip before church.

Well, we didn't get one note home on Wednesday. We got two.

(Note: before you think the worst, the notes were sent home for infractions such as distracting the class, talking during naptime, not obeying the teacher, and "play fighting" on the playground.)

So, Wednesday night, Matt and I had a "come to Jesus" meeting with Drew, not quite literally but close.  We threatened if he got another note home, he wouldn't get to play on his trampoline or swing set for a week. Furthermore, I told him if he wanted to go to McDonald's next Wednesday before church (he lost that privilege that day and he wasn't happy about it), he would have to be on "green" (indicating good behavior) each day between now and then.

Still concerned with Drew's recent rash of misbehavior, I decided to call and talk to his teacher this afternoon. When I knew the kids were napping, I called his her to assure her that we had been speaking to Drew about his notes and ask if his behavior was better today.  This was my first "conference" with Drew's teacher.  

The call went above and beyond my expectations.  Not only did she say Drew was much better, but she also went into detail about not only what Drew had been doing to get those notes but also what she was doing to work with him. She also speculated the reasons behind his misbehavior.  Out of 13 children in her class, 11 of them are boys.

Bless her heart.

But she said it matter-of-factly.  Whereas I would be begging for sympathy in her shoes, I could instead sense a passion in her voice for her children.  She explained what she was doing in the classroom to help the children learn. She asked if Drew had mentioned her teaching them sign language because that was something new she was doing this year. She was passionate about her children and her classroom.

She then went into some positive qualities that she saw in Drew that I hadn't thought of before. But now, I can see them, and I know how to guide him in the weaknesses and strengths that come with those qualities.

I got off the phone with her greatly encouraged.  I knew that Drew was learning more than I ever anticipated he would in preschool. Sight words, Spanish words, sign language, the Pledge of Allegiance... it's something new every day.  But in this phone conversation, I also knew that his teacher is guiding him as an individual in areas that can't be taught in a classroom.

And as a teacher's daughter, I can say, THAT is what makes a good teacher, a great teacher.

I'm confident that this will be a great year for Drew as his last year before kindergarten.  I'm of course hoping for no more notes home, but no matter what happens, I know that he is in great hands and is getting a good start both as a student and as a person.

No comments:

Post a Comment